Flexsolar 120W Foldable Solar Panel efficiency | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Flexsolar 120W Foldable Solar Panel efficiency

Yes you can parallel it. I run a fixed panel and parallel my folding when I need it for forest trips. Mine is a diffrent brand in a 180 watt folding.

I didn't see if it was possible on that but, if your going to use an extended length of cable, put the controller close to the battery and the cable between the panel and the inverter. I run about 50 ft of 10 gauge to keep my portable one in the sun on forest trips. You will lose less power this way.

Panel efficiency is currently about 24% on the folding. That's real good. Fixed is around 28% right now.
What that means is in a perfect scenario, sunlight will supply a certain amount of energy in a square meter. Our current technology is only capable of pulling <30% of it. That means if we want to produce 100 watts with a 25% panel, it will take four times as many panels then a 100% panel to produce the same power.
If that folding panel was a 100% panel, it would be 1/4 the size for the same output.

Real world power output is never as advertised. "IF" you point that panel directly at the sun, angled perfectly, you will be around 90-100 watts with a 120 watt panel. That's at the panel it self. You lose some in the cable length and a little in the controller. If your have 90 watts or more to your battery, that's a win.
When I calculate my solar, I go about 50% higher to compensate.

As the sun tracks across the sky, if you don't keep moving your panel, the output falls off. I normally try to move my panels at least once a day.