Anyone have a HAM license? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Anyone have a HAM license?

Camping USA

Do you feel it was worth the efforts to obtain it? I haven't needed to study for crap in a LONG time. Yeah, so I'm kind of being lazy. Am I just better off sticking with GMRS, which BTW seems like what most are using?

Getting a Ham Tech license is pretty easy. GMRS isn't bad but has its limitations. I only have GMRS because of the popularity. On ham all I run nowadays is 2m. The biggest downfall with GMRS out here, is the few available channels being severely crowded and people running high powered base stations pretty much covering the desert areas.
Out of the two dozen or so people I go off road with only a half have ham. So in reality I need both.
When it comes to line of site talking GMRS and 2m seem to be equal but 2m will bounce around canyons where GMRS wont. Running both at the same time the differences will be apparent. If no one else you run with has Ham, then having it will be pointless.

+1 GMRS only, I want to say it was $70 to get, now it's $35. So pretty cheap. As pointed out, it's pretty popular with offroaders.