Adding a pop up camper on existing custom van | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Adding a pop up camper on existing custom van

LoneSprinter

I saw a custom camping van on Instagram today that had a pop top camper on it. Curious can these sort of pop tops be added on a already converted van? Or is that just asking for trouble? I really like the idea of this and obviously the added sleeping room it provides.

Thoughts?

As I understand it can be done. We don't have one on ours. That said, I did look into possibly adding to our 170 last year. You have a few options so I suggest you consider your options there. Now you are talking about doing yourself as DIY right? If so, highly suggest you speak with custom van shop first. My neighbor has a 170 as well and he tried install a Colorado Campervan top and ended up messing up his roof, and had to bring into a shop to to fix and install correctly.

So I wonder, does something like this effect how the insurance companies see these vans? Seeing that the structural integrity of the roof has changed.

Integrating a pop-up camper onto an existing custom van offers a versatile and compact solution for adventurers seeking both mobility and comfort on their travels. By seamlessly marrying the functionality of a van with the convenience of a camper, this modification expands living space while maintaining the vehicle's maneuverability. The pop-up camper's design allows for easy setup and breakdown, providing sleeping quarters and shelter without sacrificing valuable interior space during transit. With thoughtful customization, such as optimizing storage topfollowapkapp solutions and incorporating amenities like a kitchenette or bathroom facilities, the converted van becomes a home on wheels, ready to embark on extended road trips or off-grid adventures. Whether exploring remote wilderness or urban landscapes, this hybrid configuration offers flexibility and freedom for travelers to embrace the open road while enjoying the comforts of home.