Starting a fire without lighter? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Starting a fire without lighter?

KingKhan

I knew there was a question I meant to ask earlier, when you are out and forgot your lighter, how are you lighting your fire?

Bow drill

OK, I've only been able to make a fire once this way. No joke it took me nearly 4 hours to get the fire going! However we had a bet going on whether or not I'd be able to get the fire going. I wasn't about to lose that bet, so I kept with it till I got it!

I had to go digging for this video as you will see it's not new. But I watched this some time ago and this guy covers 13 ways you can start a fire with no lighter or matches. 100% worth the watch:

The Ferro rods that I keep are 1/2 diameter. The spark off those is enormous.
I now use these for my stoves, lighting dry grass or paper to start a campfire is easy also.
Candle lighters

Which ferro rod are you using? And if you don't mind me asking, what are you using to strike onto it for the spark? Mine isn't all that, so if there is a better option, I'd be game.

Which ferro rod are you using? And if you don't mind me asking, what are you using to strike onto it for the spark? Mine isn't all that, so if there is a better option, I'd be game.
I tied to find the site where i got mine but it looks like its gone. It was a small outfit around for a long time. I use a section of hacksaw blade, drilled a small hole for a cord and ground the teeth off.
In my search I did find these Ferro rods at the bottom they have some nice strikers.

I always carry old school boxes of matches. Not as adventurous as others answers, but it works in a pinch.