King Coilovers Install On Jeep Gladiator | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

King Coilovers Install On Jeep Gladiator

iKokomo

Can someone shed some light on benefits of coilovers vs other options?

Is there a difference?

First and foremost is the straight up cool factor. Just think how impressed, people you never even met will be when you drive by.
Second is, there's no advantage unless your going long travel. If your not going long travel, your not taking advantage of its ability's.

People are impressed with anything custom whether or not it works. The advantage to a system like that is the ability to modify height and tune dual spring sets. With the stock set up you can get real nice adjustable shocks and tuned dual rate springs. If you don't like part of the spring progression, you pull it off and install a new one. You cant just replace part of the spring. With the coil over, you can run two separate, stacked springs. Now you can replace only one if you like the other half.

Tuning and rebuilding is the same as a normal shock. No advantage there. You will be limited with a regular shock/spring set up if you want long travel. They only make shocks so long.

I didn't notice (or it didn't show) them cutting the trailing arm mounts off and replacing them with much longer. If they didn't, all they achieved is (beside the cool factor) was to screw up the arm geometry. Sure, it will ride better then stock but that's where it stops. The only way someone would notice the geometry issue is if they drove a vehicle with everything correct to compare.
In a nut shell, they built a Mall Crawler.

Interesting, so let me ask you this. What would you recommend for a good 3-4" lift system for a JT? Thanks for the help!!

Not long ago, a corporation started buying up all the small good companies. The corporation bought 4WPH and started eliminating the competition. I haven't looked to see who's left.

If you don't know what a Panhard rod is, look it up. You have one in front and back. When your done lifting, the rear must be completely flat and the front has to match the steering drag link exactly.

These links connect your frame to your differential. Most of the lower end lifts don't address this and can cause handling issues. Look to see if the kit addresses this. I haven't lifted anything with your body and haven't looked hard at the ones who have. Shorter lifts tend to not have issues where the taller ones will.

Do some research. See if you can find info where the suspension has been compared to others. Its getting more difficult to do that because all the U-Tubers give their impression based on no real knowledge.

I'm sorry but this guy is barely close.

This is a typical U-Tube video done moderately well by an un educated person.

He is correct when he said as you lift or lower, you push the body out. That's where his correct information stops.

He stated that incorrect panhard length has no effect on the arms. This is incorrect. The trailing arms are rigidly attached (with bushings) to the axle and the body. When you move the body to one side, it twists these arms actually turning the axle slightly. This would be called dog tracking.
Adding in a proper sized panhard (adjustable) will align everything. That is until you hit a bump. Now the diff deflects to a side, If the suspension compresses hard then bounces up past ride height, the diff can actually point one way then the other

Using his picture, Imagine the axle moving up, the angle that the bar is at, will push the diff to the side, causing the rear to twist and dog track. This is more noticeable at high speeds. This action causes the rear to swing back and forth slightly. It feels like a gust of wind hit the back end.

The panhard MUST be as horizontal as possible to minimize this deflection.

How bad the deflection is, is based on the angle and length of the bar.

My TJ with a 4 inch lift (short bar) was almost undrivable over 60 mph. I found this out driving it home when i bought it. My cruiser was lifted 2" and I would feel it over 70 mph changing lanes to the right (body roll).

Some people don't notice it, some people accept it but don't know why. I assign this as homework in my suspension class. Its watching a lifted jeep on the freeway. Does the back end move back and forth on freeway bumps. If yes, the bar is out of align, if no, then its properly installed. This applies to almost every coil spring rear.

Last edited:
Suspension is pretty involved when you factor in all the moving parts. Each play a particular role, not as easy as swapping out shocks and thinking you can call it a day.