Why are traction board prices so high? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Why are traction board prices so high?

Nate & Liz

Perhaps we are just too new to all of this. But we were told we need to get a set of traction boards and been shopping around on Amazon and surprised with how pricey some of these actually cost. Actually the spread in cost is pretty high. How come some are $40 bucks and others are nearly $500? They both look like they are made from some sort of composite material. Can't be branding?

Part is branding, part is strength. Mine are the cheap ones and I havent broken them yet. People tell me their cheap ones broke first time out. Others have torn the traction pegs off easily.
Not actually witnessing it, I cant say if it was the cheap board or user error.

We just got a set of cheapo ones from Amazon, we haven't installed them, but they look nice, and honestly can't see how these are different.

Many just use a stronger compound and different grips that are supposed to last longer

Exactly. Many just carry them for "the special" event during overlanding. They carry too a winch, airjacks - are 4wding with friends and are able to use them to get out of trouble.

If you like to do a lot of offroad trips lonely, or driving offroad championships you should go the qualty path.

For the probably "backup" plan you can go with a cheapie.

If the traction boards are your only backup plan - go with quality....

Here is my recovery-gear kit : https://www.4x4tripping.com/2023/03/der-offroad-bergekit-2023.html?q=vergleich

The traction boards arent not the main piece out of it, but I do carry them too.

trippin

Mine were $247 or so, and I found these to be kind of in the middle of the price spectrum. Figured that was good enough. No clue on the differences, never used them yet either.

100% compound used and tread design. Cheaper traction boards will buckle and be one use if that.