Can I mount rooftop tent on Subaru Outback roof? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Can I mount rooftop tent on Subaru Outback roof?

Nelson

I've only had this car for a few months and coming from the Jeep world. But now we want to get into camping this summer and this new vehicle situation is potentially bitting me in the butt. I bought this because it's very good on gas, but overlooked how it might do with mounting a tent. With my old Wranger, I had a iKamper on the roof of that. I'm not sure if I can mount one on this Outback. If thats a no go, then how will we camp. I don't want to be in a ground tent.

Dealer got back with me today 176 lbs when in motion and 800lbs static. Yikes! Good information to know!

I've run with a few Outbacks, none with RTT. They do pretty good. Make sure you mod the suspension properly for the weight. Good shocks and a bit heaver spring. If its possible, get heavier sway bars, The sway bars will help on twisty roads but will give dirt a rougher ride.

You have a big old back in that car, why not sleep in it with your gear on top of it in storage? That would be much easier to climb in and out.

Air mattress in the back of one of these will be a tight squeeze?? There isn't that much vertical space in these cars. I know, my wife has one.

Thanks everyone, I ended up putting another iKamper on top of it. So far so good, dealer said it was fine.