Bending aluminum tent pole back without breaking? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Bending aluminum tent pole back without breaking?

RiverRat

We bent one of the main tent poles to our tent, and it's bent pretty good. Is there a way to bend this back without breaking the pole?

Thank you for your help!

Try heating it up a bit and then slowly bend it back in place. Keep in mind that once it's bent it will never be as strong as it was

Agree, I would try heating it and slowing bending it. Actually I would get another set of hands on the bent pipe and try to get a wide grip. Make sure you are wearing gloves if that pipe is hot!

Sorry dude, from my experience you are only going to be able to bend slightly back before it will break. You'll never get back to 100%. Might be worth having a spare on hand so you aren't stuck with broken pole while out camping.

Man, you need to play lotto! I've had this happen a couple times over the years and both times, my pole broke when I tried bending back. Now granted I didn't use heat, but man, one tent I had to toss because I couldn't find replacement. Glads this worked out for you!